Nourish Your Body
At An Oasis of Healing we believe in nourishing your body from the inside out.
A healthy plant-based diet is plentiful in anti-inflammatory foods that help reverse the progression of dis-ease in the body by supplying nutrients that fight oxidative stress and prevent free radical damage. Plant based diets are also loaded with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. Therefore, plants are rich in substances essential for the repair and renewal of cells and have a much smaller ratio of harmful substances than animals.
Our meals are composed of the healthiest foods on the planet: dark leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, colorful vegetables, sprouts (seeds, beans and lentils), microgreens, seaweeds, mushrooms, healthy fats like seeds, nuts, coconuts, olives and avocados, and small amounts of low sugar fruits, like berries!
What are the key components of a living plant-based diet?
- Assist in breaking down foods
- Essential for the body systems to carry out proper functions
- Become inactive when heated above 118ºF
- Essential for energy production and cellular function
- Vitamins maintain their activity in food that is alive but can be damaged by cooking
- Plants draw minerals directly from soil they grow in and bind them into their structure
- Act as cofactors to enzyme function
- These minerals are more difficult to digest and absorb when they are cooked
- Protect our body from free radicals which can prevent cancer
- Neutralize cancer-producing chemicals that form in the body
Phytonutrients or phytochemicals
- Cancer-fighting substances that help prevent and heal not just cancer but many degenerative illnesses and help maintain optimum function of the body’s systems
- Include substances like carotenoids, lutein, zeaxanthin, quercetin, kaempferol (flavonols), dithiolthiones, isothiocyanates, glucarates, coumarins and other phenolic compounds, terpenes and organosulfides
- Fiber helps to regulate bowel movements and flush out toxins.
- Whole food vegetable-based diets are rich in fiber.
- Maintaining proper acid base balance is crucial for health.
- Almost all raw vegetable foods are alkalizing and help the body to become more alkaline.
- Organic food is free of pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides.
- Chemicals that kill bugs also poison our body.
- Cooking produces free radicals within the food and chemical compounds that may contribute to cancer formation.
- Being vegan also prevents us from consuming the hormones produced by animals throughout their lives as well as the stress hormones produced before time of slaughter.
- Growth hormones that are used to grow bigger or faster produce are not used in organic farming.
- Additives are used in almost all packaged foods to preserve, add color, flavor, or texture.
- Raw foods do not contain additives.
Juicing is not fasting; it is a nutrition feast! Juicing reduces the burden of digestion and guarantees direct nutrient delivery. Juicing is a great way to helps those who are nutritionally deprived and everyone who wants to nourish their body! Juices ensure a dense and direct source of nutrients, easily digestible, while also providing live enzymes (raw juices).
At An Oasis of Healing we prepare, every day, highly nutritious organic vegetable juices. Our Liquid Sunshine green juice usually includes green vegetables like spinach, kale and parsley, cucumber for water density, lemon and ginger as superfoods and a small amount of green apple for its health benefits and natural sweetness. Sprouts, like sunflower, are also a very nutritious addition to your juices. The ingredients of our green juice may vary according with the season and availability of products. But we always buy organic products and locally and in season as much as possible. This allows us to have access to the freshest, nutrient and enzyme rich products, while at the same time supporting local producers and avoiding GMO and chemically laden crops.
Besides green juice, we also recommend wheatgrass and blue green algae drinks, herbal teas, and infused waters!
We also teach and incentivize our patients, their families, our staff, and everyone we come in contact with to prepare their daily dose of green richness for a healthier, nourished body!
Dr. Thomas Lodi combines the best alternative therapies with the best conventional ones. Here he talks about his methods and shares health information that is essential reading – whether you have a cancer diagnosis or want to learn more.
This article was written by Dr. Thomas Lodi. You can download the full Medicine Man article.
The introduction and interview were done by Sarah Best from Get Fresh Magazine.