Alternative cancer treatments are treatments that do not follow or include any of the traditional medical protocols. Even though these treatments aren’t yet approved by any government agencies that are responsible for medicinal or therapeutic items, that does not diminish their potential benefits, non-toxic options, and potential for enhancing quality of life for cancer patients.
Many of these alternative treatments don’t have agency backing because they are too new, not enough testing has been done, not enough or no proof that they work, or the treatments can not be patented so there is no money making capability thus abandoning them for patentable drug alternatives.
- Keep in mind that at one time, all of the currently used cancer treatments that are now approved by these agencies today, were once not approved at the dawn of their existence.
The difference between Integrative and Alternative cancer treatments is that the first can be used in addition to the standard or reduced levels of standard treatments while the second is used as a replacement to the standard treatment methods. Integrative cancer treatments are usually used together with approved traditional methods to heal cancer. These treatments will help enhance the body’s natural healing mechanisms, allow for lower amounts of traditional chemo or radiation, and reduce or relieve some of the side effects associated with traditional cancer treatment methods.
- These Integrative treatments can include alternative IV therapies such as high dose vitamin C and ozone treatments, acupuncture, massage therapy, infrared sauna, exercise with oxygen (EWOT), meditation, yoga, Reiki, reflexology, relaxation techniques, prayer, and support groups. The hands-on methods like massage therapy or acupuncture will help with the side effects of pain, nausea, and stress associated with traditional treatments as well as assist with opening energy meridians and allowing the lymph to drain more freely reducing the toxic load on the body. Focusing on the power of prayer or meditation will help strengthen the spirit and mental well-being which will add another level to the success of a patient healing from cancer.
These alternative methods are used through a holistic (whole person) health approach using special diets, herbal and non-herbal supplements, high doses of vitamin C intravenously, oxidative therapies, and other system cleanses and detoxification methods such as colonics, Pulsed Electromagnetic treatments (PEMF), Infrared sauna, UBI (Ultraviolet blood irradiation), and lymphatic drainage.
- One in 2 men and 1 in 3 women are diagnosed with cancer at 4,200 people per day!
After a person has received the cancer diagnosis, they understandably want to explore and learn about all of the possible methods to clear it from their body. Conventional methods of cancer treatment include surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy (slash, burn and poisoning methods). While approved for use by governmental agencies, these methods are invasive, treat only the symptoms, leave debilitating side effects that inexorably diminish quality of life and statistically shorten survival longevity. Often times, cancer can either recur or spread, and typically cancer will return later down the road. Due to these facts, many times, a physician will order a combination of treatments depending on where the cancer is in the body, what type of cancer it is, and the size of the tumor.
- Conventional methods usually severely weaken or completely decimate the immune system and are likened to cutting the tops of weeds off leaving the roots to grow stronger making for a stronger weed that will grow back.
Someone may choose the alternative treatment path because they know conventional methods aren’t effective, they want to be in control of their health, the treatments are natural and non-toxic, and have less side effects. Or maybe they have tried conventional in the past and did not get the results they were expecting with cancer returning and have understandable fear of going through with toxic treatments again.
Incorporating low glycemic fruits and lots of dark leafy green vegetables into a diet can boost the immune system, reduce the toxic load, reduce inflammation, halting the growth of cancer, and can decrease the risk of developing cancer when used as a preventative. Adding massage therapy (specifically lymphatic drainage and structural integration), exercise to increase oxygenation and sweat out toxins, music therapy, relaxation/breathing techniques, meditation/prayer, and support groups that advocate alternative cancer treatment will help strengthen the spirit and enhance a person’s well-being on a mental and spiritual level.
- To heal from cancer, one must focus on more than just the illness, tumor, or compromised part of the body. The Integrative cancer treatment approach respects that illness, specifically cancer, can be multifactorial with ‘multiple’ causes, in which the goal of integrative care is to address all of these factors whenever and as much as possible.
Additional information on Integrative cancer treatments:
These treatments are a comprehensive health care approach that addresses the needs of the physical body, the immune system, the mind, the emotions, as well as spirituality.
They offer the best of both Alternative and Conventional cancer treatment methods for a more comprehensive protocol to ensure every possible angle is used to heal from cancer.
Integrative cancer care research is continuously evolving and promising studies have been published on many areas of care.
- Intriguing new data suggests that the state immunity outside of a cancer cell or tumor (i.e. pro-inflammatory) can be more important in determining long-term survival when compared to all stages of clinical disease
- Other studies suggest regular exercise may decrease recurrence risk and significantly enhance survival in people with a cancer history (which also helps decrease inflammation)
- Acupuncture has been shown to decrease the negative side-effects from cancer treatment and improve immune function even in patients with advanced disease states
- Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to improve the effectiveness of chemotherapy and maintain weight
- Supplemental melatonin may increase survival when combined with chemotherapy and radiation
- There are ongoing discussions that vitamin D may help stop making cancer, decrease the recurrence of cancer, and may be linked with improved survival
- Yoga, massage therapy, stress-reduction techniques are also showing levels of benefit in the research
- Emerging treatment tools such as hyperthermia, immune-system vaccines, creative uses of standard chemotherapy (IPT-Insulin Potentiation Therapy)
- Numerous injectable agents (i.e. vitamin C, ozone, etc.) are also approaches of integrative cancer care and have been explored as primary methods of support specifically in situations where no effective standard treatments exist
The goal of Integrative cancer care is to empower people, enhance quality of life and survival, and should be incorporated at any stage of a cancer treatment program (i.e. before, during, after).
To Your Health,
The Team at An Oasis of Healing